A Bad Day for Charity  

Posted by Jude Emblem

Last Thursday started up just like any other day. Wake up at 10:30 and get ready for work at the restaurant by 12. I am a server at a Steakhouse not far from where I live and this week I had more hours during the day shift which meant that I would be there for both the lunch rush and Senior's Hour, both of them good times for making money. It didn't take long for me to realize a dangerous pattern forming though. For whatever reason, people were not tipping! I would get a dollar or two here or there but the majority of customers would leave huge messes and nothing to compensate for my hard work. As far as I could tell I was not doing anything different. Still smiling, joking with customers, and providing quick service and yet after 4 hours of work all I had to show for it was $20. Ouch! Before I left for the day I remarked to a fellow server that "I'm not doing this out of charity here!" I was not in the best of moods.

Friday morning as I made my morning offering: Oh my Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings... my heart sank. Had I not made this same offering the day before? My remark from the previous day raced through my mind. "I'm not doing this out of charity"... I thought about this. What if I could do my work out of charity? My job's very name is server, so why not take joy in doing that? Concentrate on the work more than the suffering and do my job for love of my neighbor, whoever they may be, and trust God to take care of my bills. I decided to try my best.

Needless to say, Friday was one of my best days ever. Sure there were issues that needed to be resolved, but if not, then where is the love? Thursday reminded me that if all your actions are not guided by love of Him, that it will show in your daily actions and will affect how your day will go. I'm not saying that there will not still be bad days ahead, but at least now my heart and mind are in the right place so I can accept them when He so chooses.

This entry was posted on July 18, 2009 at Saturday, July 18, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Thank you, Jude. I needed that reminder, especially in these long summer days when it's so easy to do nothing, let alone to do nothing for love of God... I will try hard too. Let's, as I said in post #2, keep up the Good Fight,

Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam!

July 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM

lol... talk about coincedences... today's sermon was on the Morning Offering. God has a sense of humor, as my dad always says.

July 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

yah are's was on "you will know them by their fruits".....errr well that was today's gospel but I mean, Putting forth good fruits namely, charity..........well I think........today it was hard, to hear poor Fr. Post. Part of it was anyway....lol

July 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM

its our not are

August 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM

YAh LOL! Erik corrected me on that the day I posted it lol, ty very much though! =D

August 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Post a Comment